Sunday, March 25, 2012

Daily Med School Motivation

As a part of my quest to become a doctor, I have started a reading program for myself. I try to read books every day about what it is like to be a medical doctor. My first book that I am reading is how doctors think. This book gives great accounts of different types of mistakes physicians often make in their thinking.

The one that has stuck out most to me so far is attribution error. This is the problem of over attributing things to a persons nature and not facts presented. This often happens with physicians when their patient's nature according to the physician does not match up with what the patient is really like. Think of it like a soccer mom that presents herself well so the physician assumes she is fine. In reality, she is an alcoholic but doesn't fit the classic appearance of one. This would cause a physician to miss out on important diagnoses because he never considered this condition.

I am still working my way through the book. Also, I am looking for my next book for daily motivation. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment