Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Commission Bias

Commission bias is the tendency towards action rather than inaction. The likely happens with doctors whose egos are overinflated. In these cases, these doctors decide on a course of action even if they are not sure of the diagnosis.

Personally, I have seen this take place in my shadowing and personal experiences with physicians. Luckily, the people I have met shadowing did not do that as much as other physicians I have encountered.

I think the doctor I have liked the best so far clearly gave reasoning for a certain diagnosis with his patients. If they were low income or had a low health literacy, he really broke it down to their level of understanding. He did a great job of trying to relate with his patients. I really enjoyed his honesty when he did not know why a certain thing caused something he stated it. He also cited medical literature to his patients so they could know what he was basing is medical decision on. Loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment